Tech Tips

We answer some of the questions you may have in our series of tech tips. Remember to always read the official instructions, they supercede our information.

Email support

If you have a product question, or need some help, please send us an email! Use our contact form

or email us directly at:

Store Address

Annie Jewel and Charlie's
3401 Kemp Blvd, Ste B
Scott Square
Wichita Falls, TX 76308


Work in progress

We are in the process of restoring these googled pages for you!

Marklin Connections

Now How do I connect this?

Here is some help with Marklin connections and color codings used on wiring. If you follow these same rules, it will make it easier for you to track and find faults later in your wiring.

Marklin Red and Brown Wires

Used to connect power (the speed control AC power) to the track.
- Red is for the center rail (marked B on the bottom)

- Brown is for the outer two rails (marked O on the bottom).

On larger layouts, it is best to have multiple power connections to the track. We have special wire sets that make this easy. The Marklin 74040 wire set is just over 3 feet long, and has spade connectors on one side.

You can also run a feeder wire from a track portion (typically a track piece close to where your feeder wire is hooked up), to another track piece further down the track using the Marklin 74042 wire set. It has spade connectors on both sides.


Marklin Accessories

- Accessories like lights and turnouts are powered by Yellow and Brown. The brown wire is the wire that typically gets switched, the yellow is always on. Therefore, if you have control boxes like the 72710, 72720, 72730 or 72740, you hook up the brown wire from the transformer to the side of those control boxes. Typical transformer output (the constant voltage AC power) side. Used to power accessories, like turnouts and lights.

Marklin Turnouts

- When you equip the turnouts with a turnout motor (Marklin 74491) you can control the turnouts remotely with an electrical switch. Much like you turn on a light in your house.

The turnout motors have one yellow and two blue wires. The yellow goes to the yellow from the transformer. The two blues go to a switch (Marklin 72010), and the switch connects them with the brown from the transformer. Put a red plug on the blue wire that makes the turnout set itself to curve, and a green plug on the side that sets the turnout straight.

If you need to extend these three wires, consider using the Brawa 3174. This is a 3-strand wire, that has red (for the set-to-curved blue wire), and green (for set-to-straight blue wire).

Marklin 60055 Transformer

- The Marklin 60055 transformer comes with a tiny plastic plug. It almost looks like a black little cube with 2 small prongs (see the picture below).

You need to attach the black double wire to this plug, so that you can plug it into the transformer. The black double wire has a jack style plug on its end, that will plug into the Central Station, or the 60113 connector box when you use the Mobile Station 2,or the famous ugly box (like on the Marklin 24088 piece of track). Technically, polarity (which wire goes into which side of the plug) does not matter in this case.